The Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies offers two types of awards for undergraduate majors and minors:
- Outstanding Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Student Award
- Conference Travel Awards
Outstanding Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Student Award
These awards recognize outstanding student performances in WGSS academics and leadership by graduating senior WGSS majors and minors. Every spring faculty and graduate instructors are invited to submit nominations via email to the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Two nominees are selected by the faculty on the WGSS Undergraduate Committee. Winners will be announced at the WGSS End of Year Party in April. The selection committee will consider the student's scholarly achievements such as:
- Performance in WGSS courses & GPA in WGSS.
- Participation in the Honors program & WGSS events.
- Independent research with WGSS faculty.
- Presentations at conferences.
- WGSS leadership activities and/or community building activities.
- Other feminist activism/leadership at Emory or Atlanta.
Conference Travel Awards for WGSS UndergraduatesA limited number of travel funding awards are given each year to support WGSS students in presenting their research and scholarship at academic conferences. The award is for one conference and shall not exceed $800/person each academic year. Applications are reviewed by the DUS with input from faculty. Students will be notified via email of the department's decision within approximately 2 weeks.
- A short letter of application explaining the conference's academic relevance, the amount requested, and list any other funding sources.
- A 2 page abstract of the paper that details the argument as well as the methods of inquiry.
- A copy of your transcript and an official description of the conference.
- A copy of the student's official acceptance letter or email and description of the session in which the student will participate.
- An estimated line item budget of total expenses (conference registration fee, airfare, ground transportation, hotel, meals, etc.).
- A letter of support from a WGSS Core, Associated, or Graduate member of the faculty, preferably from someone familiar with the research in question.
Travel and Reimbursement Procedures: Students will be responsible for communicating with the WGSS Department's Office Manager before incurring any conference expenses. Most conference expenses are handled by reimbursement, so all receipts should be retained. Within 10 days of returning from the conference, students must submit:
- Their receipts and a copy of the conference program page(s) showing their name to the WGSS Department's Office Manager
- A 1 paragraph email describing and evaluating their conference experience to the DUS.