Requirements for Minor

(for students declaring a WGS Minor on or after August 24, 2016 - includes HFTA requirement)

Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies offers a minor concentration that is designed to complement majors in other departments. For a minor in WGS, students must take a total of 20 credit hours with a minimum of 6 courses:

  • WGS 200 (Introduction to WS)
  • WGS 205 (Introduction to Studies in Sexualities) -- only offered in the Spring 
  • WGS 300 (Feminist Theory) -- only offered in the Spring
  • 3 electives (a WGS course or a course cross-listed with WGS)

Courses taken to fulfill the minor in WGS must be taken for a letter grade and not pass/fail. Use the WGS minor checklist (with HFTA requirement) or WGS minor checklist (without HFTA requirement) to check your status toward completing your WGS Minor.

Oxford Continuees: WGS_OX 100: Introduction to Women's Studies will count towards your core requirements as WGS 200: Introduction to WGSS. WGS_OX 200: Gender, Race, Class, and Sexuality will count as an elective. All other courses must be approved by the WGS Director of Undergraduate Studies for credit.

How do I declare a Major/Minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies?

The following form allows students to declare a majors/minors or to remove an existing major/minor from their record. Please read the notes below BEFORE completing the form.

Declaration of Major/Minor Form


  1. Seniors who have already submitted degree applications should not submit this form but should email OUE.Advising@emory.edu with their request.

  2. Once submitted, you will receive an email with directions to contact the Undergraduate Program Coordinator in the WGSS Office, Candler Library 128C for next steps. Your major/minor will not be changed until your complete the WGSS entrance survey and the Undergraduate Program Coordinator authorizes the change to the Registrar.  

  3. This form is best viewed on Internet Explorer or Safari

  4. If you have any questions about the form or the process, please contact OUE.Records@emory.edu or (404) 727-9321.