Top of page
Skip to main content
Main content


  • How do I declare a Major/Minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies?

    The following form allows students to declare majors/minors or to remove an existing major/minor from their record. Please read the notes below BEFORE completing the form.

    Declaration of Major/Minor Form


    1. Seniors who have already submitted degree applications should not submit this form but should email with their request.

    2. Once submitted, you will receive an email with directions to contact the Undergraduate Program Coordinator in the WGSS Office, Candler Library 128C for the next steps. Your major/minor will not be changed until you complete the WGSS entrance survey and the Undergraduate Program Coordinator authorizes the change to the Registrar.

    3. This form is best viewed on Internet Explorer or Safari.

    4. If you have any questions about the form or the process, please contact or 404-727-9321.
  • How do I get approval for Transfer Credit or Course Substitutions?

    In cases of transfer credit from other universities, the department recognizes courses included by the Registrar's Office on a student's transcript. There is no petition process for credits not included by the Registrar.

  • How do I register for a Permission Only Course?

    Please contact the instructor of the course. Have the instructor give you written approval via email. You then forward the email with the instructor's permission to the Undergraduate Program Coordinator. Please include your student ID# with your request.

  • Can I overload into a WGSS course?

    Yes. However, you must receive written permission from the professor in order to overload into their course. Please keep in mind that we do not grant overloads for WGS 100: Gender Trouble, WGS 200: Intro to WGSS, or WGS 205: Intro to Study in Sexualities. 

  • If a course is cross-listed (i.e. WGS 232) but I enrolled in the other section of it (i.e. POL 385), will it count for my WGSS major or minor?

    Yes. Many courses are cross-listed between departments. You may enroll in either section and still receive major/minor credit for the course. You should be sure to note the cross-listed course on your major/minor checklist since only the section for which you are registered will appear on your transcript.

  • How do I make study abroad part of my WGS major/minor?

    Your first step should be a visit to the Emory College Study Abroad Office (Candler Library, Suite 200) to find out what programs are available. Once you have identified programs that interest you, we urge you to discuss them with your advisor.

    To assure the acceptability of credit, such programs must receive prior departmental approval. To have specific study abroad courses evaluated, please obtain a study abroad course equivalence form from Emory College Study Abroad office. Complete the form and bring it, along with detailed course descriptions for all courses you would like to have reviewed, to the Undergraduate Program Coordinator in the WGS Department Office, 128C Candler Library.

    The Director of Undergraduate Studies will review the materials and determine course equivalencies and appropriate credit. When the evaluation is completed, you will be notified by email to pick up your form.

    The evaluation process takes 1-2 days. Please contact the Emory College Study Abroad office about deadlines for obtaining course equivalencies before study abroad and allow plenty of time for processing.